Deep Space 15
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Station Deep Space 15

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Decent Proposal

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gammon

Gammon

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 2:09 am

The evening following Val's rich morning, Gammon was, as he said he would be, sitting in the Eel. He was in the back at a more private table, swirling a cup of something purple in a snifter glass. He wore a sort of open-chested chemise of a shirt that showed his massive shoulders and loose black trousers. One leg was hooked over the other and he leaned back, watching the bar slowly gathering patrons and occasionally tossing a devil-may-care smile to a particularly attractive passerby -- and, notably, some particularly unattractive passersby as well, who practically fell over themselves at the attentions, but mostly his gaze kept wandering to the door.
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 2:20 am

Val did arrive eventually, wearing muted colors, some bangles, and a very shiny silver necklace which hung most decoratively down his back, but was only a thin chain in front. He approached Gammon and sat at his table, folding his hands in his lap.
Back to top Go down
Gammon

Gammon

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 2:25 am

"I was beginning to worry I'd insulted you somehow," Gammon said immediately, a relieved smile spreading across his features like warm honey. "I'm glad you came. Do you want a drink?" A beat. "Or maybe you don't want to drink after last night? I wouldn't blame you."
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 2:33 am

Val smiled sheepishly. "I got a little silly last night."
Back to top Go down
Gammon

Gammon

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 2:42 am

"Here," Gammon said with a laugh, "try this." He set his glass down in front of Val to taste. "If you like it, we'll get it very, very watered down." It was a cool, airy drink, refreshing but with a pleasant, fig-like aftertaste.
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 2:52 am

"It's nice," Val nodded. "I'll take one very watered down." He smiled uncertainly at the man, a frown line appearing between his dark brows.
"Why did you give me so much money? What exactly do you want for it?"
Back to top Go down
Gammon

Gammon

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 3:00 am

Val's questions turned Gammon's smile downward just a little at the corners. He stood and placed a heavy hand on the Bajoran's shoulder before leaving him at the table to go to the bar. He ordered the drink, made sure it was extremely weak, and came back with it to set in front of his companion. It was only when he was settled back down in his own seat that he picked up his stronger version of the drink and considered both the glass and his answers.

"I don't want anything for it, Etilen," he replied bluntly, lifting his brows and his shoulders at the same time. But the shoulders dropped and his brows stayed up. "Do you know I don't really remember my family?" he mused, not making eye contact.
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 3:05 am

"Oh?" Val asked, sliding into the comfortable role of listener, and remembering what Lorelei said about unintentional expectations.
Back to top Go down
Gammon

Gammon

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 3:14 am

"They're still alive," Gammon admitted, finally looking up at Val. "Most of them are, anyway. I've been sending them money since the moment I left Krios." He glanced thoughtfully at his drink and took another sip of it, letting it roll around on his tongue. "And I was looking at my money last night and thinking about your mother. And you, when you were a little boy. And I couldn't for the life of me understand why I'd give money to people I don't even remember, but not to the only people in the galaxy who ever just made me feel welcome. Like they were glad I was around."

He smiled suddenly and noted, "I can't recall any homecooked meal I ever had before your mother first invited me in to eat with you. Even when you had nothing."
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 3:16 am

Val smiled at Gammon's words about his mum. "But won't your family be expecting it? Aren't you cutting them off?"
Back to top Go down
Gammon

Gammon

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 3:19 am

Gammon let out a slightly uncomfortable laugh and looked down at his drink, still swishing it around in its cup. "Etilen, I'm..." He looked around him for the words to explain the situation. He checked the ceiling and the wall next to him and the bench beneath him. Finally he tried Val's face. "...I'm something of a savant when it comes to money. I'm not cutting anybody off. I'm just dealing you in."
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 3:27 am

"Oh," Val said, sipping his drink. "Well.. if you don't want anything for it, what were the business prospects you wrote about?"
Back to top Go down
Gammon

Gammon

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 3:39 am

"Well," Gammon started slowly, pausing to take a very long, luxurious drink of his alcohol, "that's going to depend on you. There are several ways we can go about setting up a comfortable situation for you. Obviously, I can just provide for you and for your mother from here on out, so long as I have the funds to do so. But if you'd rather feel like you're earning it, there are some options to consider. Obviously, no matter what happens, you are free to continue doing whatever you like with your time and your money."
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 3:45 am

Val frowned. "Gammon... if you provide for me, it means I am depending on you. I can't just take it for nothing."
Back to top Go down
Gammon

Gammon

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 3:52 am

Gammon gave a slow smile at that and nodded his agreement. "That's what I figured you'd say. Which is why I'd like to offer you a percentage of my profits in return for some general business help. And whatever help you feel comfortable giving is what you give. You've been on this station for a while now. You know the people on it, you know the ones who come and go. So you're a valuable asset for networking and information. Gossip is especially useful in my line of work. Who wants what, who has what, who likes what...that sort of thing. And there will also be times that I leave the station on a trade trip and I'll need someone to make sure my shop is being looked after." He tilted his head and smiled. "And as I am new to this whole 'shop' experience and I know how much you love to shop, I thought you might help me set things up in a pleasing manner. Things like that."
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 4:08 pm

Val mulled this over.
"Well.. I'm not a shop boy. And I wouldn't betray the intimate trust of my clients. At any rate, I'm not sure the gossip I have is worth what you've given me. But I'll see what I can do."
Back to top Go down
Gammon

Gammon

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 4:16 pm

"I'm not asking for anything you're not willing to give," Gammon assured the younger man. "I meant what I said last night: I want you...and your mother...to be happy. And money is just about all I have to give to make that happen." He took a drink of his liquor and pursed his lips thoughtfully. "We'll try some things out and see what sticks. Okay?"
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 4:20 pm

Val smiled. "All right. I can be decoration in your shop," he laughed.
Back to top Go down
Gammon

Gammon

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 4:27 pm

"That," Gammon replied with a surprised smile, "is not a half-bad idea." He sipped again while he brainstormed. "And we could set you up with a wardrobe...rare silks, Gamma Quadrant jewelry. I used to have a pretty good deal set up with Wheezy..."
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 4:53 pm

Val's eyes lit up. "Oh yes, please!"
Back to top Go down
Gammon

Gammon

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 4:58 pm

Gammon grinned, feeling very pleased with himself indeed for finding something that suited the Bajoran. "Perfect. A ten percent share of my profits in perpetuity. Shall we toast?"
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 2:25 am

Val picked up his glass and obliged him, chuckling.
"You know I'll do nothing but bring riff raff into your shop, right?" He joked. "Like that layabout commander of our's."
Back to top Go down
Gammon

Gammon

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 2:35 am

"As long as those riff raff have things to trade or money to spend, I welcome them." Gammon grinned. "I myself am a card-carrying member of the riff raff." After a moment's thought, he gave a tip of his glass and said, "To finding happiness, wherever it may be."
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 2:45 am

Val toasted him happily, then began scanning the room for possible prospects, hoping the reflecting light off the necklace on his back would draw attention.
Back to top Go down
Gammon

Gammon

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 9:13 pm

The larger man at the table watched the smaller's posturing with amusement and aloof fascination as he sipped his drink. He too looked to the room, trying to discern how Val might go about picking potential marks. "Does it help or hurt to have me here while you do this?" he wondered, making no move to leave regardless of the answer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A Decent Proposal Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Decent Proposal   A Decent Proposal Empty

Back to top Go down

A Decent Proposal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Deep Space 15 :: On Board DS15 :: The Ceti Eel-
Jump to: