Deep Space 15
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Station Deep Space 15

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Arrival of the Hippolyta

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Capt Darren Rai

Capt Darren Rai

The Arrival of the Hippolyta Empty
PostSubject: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 12:44 am

She was a beautiful ship, a jewel within the Federation's Sovereign class when she made dock. Sleek, pristine, and powerful, Rai watched as the Admiral brought her into port. Like a bursting dam, young cadets, ensigns, and lieutenants came pouring through in rank.
It wasn't long before the Promenade was filled with young people in brightly colored (though mostly red)uniform.
Rai called for attention, and immediately, they stood at attention.
"I am Captain Darren Rai. I will be your leader on the USS Hippolyta. The Federation believes we need to have an increased military presence out here until relations between Bajor and Cardassia have de-escalated. I can't emphasize enough that we will be embarking on peacekeeping missions. We will be entrusted with many new, experimental types of technology, upon which you will be trained.
We are in a delicate place here, where we may stand on the precipice of war. The persistence of loss weighs heavily on all of us, I think everyone here has been touched by previous conflicts, or we know someone who has been. The importance of maintaining and protecting life then should be now, and always be paramount to us.
I look forward to serving with you all. Dismissed!"
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 11:18 pm

Val Etilen situated himself in his usual place, leaning on the banister by the largely decorative stair on the Promenade to view the crowd of newcomers. He wore a translucent cloak over his usual very form fitting blacks, and wide metal disks hung low around his neck to catch the light. With all the bustle and all the strangers due to be shipped out soon, there was no time to waste on delicacy.

"Want to have one last date before war breaks out?" he asked to a few of the taller, more robust looking ensigns.
Back to top Go down
Capt Darren Rai

Capt Darren Rai

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 11:25 pm

"Go easy on the kids, Val," Rai quipped. "Most of them wouldn't know what to do with you, even if they could afford you."
Back to top Go down
Akhil

Akhil

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 11:49 pm

The ship's counselor was present at the warship's arrival as well, evaluating the vessel and the crew that rolled out with. Not a bad lot, he thought, arms folded behind his back and eyes surveying the crowd from his impressive height. He followed the Captain to discuss details, and heard the exchanged Rai had with the Bajoran. Akhil's dark eyes curiously took Val in. The contrast between official duty and this... rather more salacious topic of conversation threw the lumbering half-Klingon for a moment, though the change on his face was subtle. He cleared his throat.
Back to top Go down
Capt Darren Rai

Capt Darren Rai

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 12:22 am

Rai stepped up beside Akhil, his head standing at about the level of Akhil's bicep.
"Lieutenant Commander Akhil! Just look at them. All these young lives entrusted to us. Do you remember being that age? So hopeful."
Back to top Go down
Akhil

Akhil

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 12:29 am

Akhil turned his attention from the Bajoran back to the Captain. His gaze swept the crowd. "They look like a fine lot, though I believe additional physical training is in order. Hope is good, preparedness is better." He smirked, folding his great arms over his chest - at least he'd have his hands full aboard the Hyppolita.
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 12:34 am

Val held his head high. "I don't know... fresh graduates have an energy and vigor I quite enjoy." he continued to look over the crowd and occasionally wave at an ensign as though he knew them, just to see what their reaction was.
Back to top Go down
Capt Darren Rai

Capt Darren Rai

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 12:36 am

Rai sassed Val over the crowd. "If you don't get any takers, I'm sure Akhil here could use the company. Couldn't you, Akhil?" he ribbed the Klingon playfully.
Back to top Go down
Akhil

Akhil

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 12:47 am

It was rare that the Counselor was at a loss for words, but at that moment he made a noise not unlike a startled black bear. "I... uh. I am here in a professional capacity."
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 12:59 am

Val prickled. "I'm glad you find my work so amusing, Captain, but I'm sure the Counselor will come to me when and if he wants my services, just as I would if I wanted his - without embarrassment or hesitation. And you may be comforted to know that your senior staff are always given highest priority."
He located a ruffled-looking ensign who seemed to be looking for the right corridor, and leaned over the banister to call down to him.
"You dropped your comm badge, sweetheart!" he called.
Back to top Go down
Akhil

Akhil

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:02 am

Val's mouthing off to the Captain diffused Akhil's embarrassment and he couldn't help chuckling, though he quickly cleared his throat again lest Rai noticed.
Back to top Go down
Capt Darren Rai

Capt Darren Rai

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:18 am

"Excuse me, Val-- I had no idea you'd have such a thin skin for your line of work. Does that that make it more difficult when Cardassians beat you for money?"
Back to top Go down
Val Etilen

Val Etilen

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:26 am

Val spun around, completely shocked at even the Captain's capacity for rudeness. There was no use hiding how Rai's words had effected him since the man probably felt it already.
"So you hoped we could be friends, huh?" Val marched down the stairs and into the crowd, shaking off the creeping feeling of someone sensing his vulnerabilities.
Back to top Go down
Akhil

Akhil

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:29 am

Akhil stared after the Bajoran. He respected the Captain, but Rai's last insult seemed excessive even to him. He couldn't hide the look of disappointment when he looked at Rai. "As your subordinate, I do not wish to speak out of turn," he said carefully, "But as your Counselor, I think that was uncalled for."
Back to top Go down
Capt Darren Rai

Capt Darren Rai

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 1:40 am

"Yes, I suppose that might have been a little strong," he said, hanging his head on his shoulders. He clasped his hands behind his back, and rocked back on his heels.
"I actually think he's lovely, but every time I try to ingratiate myself to him at all, he does something to rile me up and take me down a notch. What should I do? I actually, have thought of acquiring his services now and again."
Back to top Go down
Akhil

Akhil

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 10:59 am

"This is definitely not the way to do it," Akhil replied, "True honor lies in not always being right and having the last word, but in acknowledging when one was wrong. Perhaps you should apologize."
Back to top Go down
Capt Darren Rai

Capt Darren Rai

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 4:57 pm

"You're right, and obviously I have to. You're always right," he said. "Who will I turn to for advice on this away mission? I'll have to reach you on subspace."
Back to top Go down
Akhil

Akhil

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 5:23 pm

"I hope I am not always right for my sake. That would be impossible, and not conducive to personal growth," Akhil replied, "But thank you for appreciating my advice. And if I may," he added, glancing around to make sure that their conversation was still as private as it could be in a crowd, "remember that a person like Val Etilen is your subordinate in almost every way. You have a lot of power over him, while he has very little over you. Be careful not to abuse that when you loose your temper."
Back to top Go down
Capt Darren Rai

Capt Darren Rai

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 10:08 pm

Rai sighed defeatedly. "I really did it this time. I'll send him flowers, and I'll figure it out from there. Thank you, Akhil."
Back to top Go down
Akhil

Akhil

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptySat Jun 07, 2014 10:19 pm

"Sir," Akhil nodded and left the Captain to his thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptySun Jun 08, 2014 11:56 pm

Commander Tal'Ara entered the bridge and surveyed the room.

It was nice. Sleek. Crisp. Fresh - just like the new cadets. They were painfully green. So young. So ignorant. So weak.

She approached the Captain, wearing her starfleet uniform and shiny new pip - and her Tal Shiar shawl, of course.

"Captain," she cleared her throat. "It is a beautiful ship."

She nodded to Akhil courteously.

"Should I say something to the new cadets regarding the Romulan technology?"
Back to top Go down
Capt Darren Rai

Capt Darren Rai

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:10 am

"Go on ahead, they need to get used to you," he leaned in and whispered to Tal.
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:43 am

Tal'Ara turned to all of those fresh faced cadets on the bridge, and cocked an eyebrow.

None of them had probably ever seen a Romulan in their lives. She could feel their intimidation.

"I am Commander Tal'Ara," she said sharply, and then paused. "Yes, I am Romulan. I am aware this is the first time most, if not all of you, have ever seen one in person. I am here as a measure of good faith between our governments. Despite this, I will treat you no differently than I would my own kind, on my own ship. And this will be important when dealing with the new technology coming on to this ship. Some of you may be aware that we are going to be integrating Romulan technologies to some of the Hippolyta's systems. This technology will be very different from anything you have all worked with, and it will take a great deal of preparation and care to operate safely - Romulan technology is not something to fiddle around with."

She paused to let this sink in for a moment. She stared at many of the faces. Some of them looked shocked.

"If you have any misgivings, please make them known now."
Back to top Go down
Capt Darren Rai

Capt Darren Rai

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 12:58 am

The crew was visibility nervous around her, but no one spoke. Rai and Tal only heard coughing in the distance.
"I expect nothing but total cooperation with Commander Tal'Ara. While we've had animosity, we're putting that aside to create a better future with our new friends. Insubordination will be taken seriously, and treated with severity." Rai wished nothing more than to create a united front with her, or at least appear that way.
Back to top Go down
Tal'Ara

Tal'Ara

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 1:43 am

She did not expect anyone to speak up, especially with the Captain there. And she was glad the Captain made his little addendum.

"Thank you, Captain," she said to him.

She turned back to the fresh faces.

"You should all have received technical specs on the new modifications relevant to your respective posts. Please consult your senior office if you have any questions, before bringing them to me. They have all been briefed on the technology, and should be competent enough to answer any specifics you may have - of they are unable to help you, they will direct you to me. That is all. At ease."

Tal'Ara turned back to the Captain and whispered, "Most of these people have never been inside a starship, let alone fought in combat - we are going to need to bring them up to speed quickly."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Arrival of the Hippolyta   The Arrival of the Hippolyta Empty

Back to top Go down

The Arrival of the Hippolyta
Page 1 of 1